‘Laser Chick’ sharing STEM research with City College

The San Diego Promise program is also accepting applications

Laser Chick

Dr. Desiré Whitmore holds degrees in physical sciences, chemical engineering, and chemical & material physics. @itsvasquez2u on Twitter

Candise Berry, Multimedia Journalist

San Diego City College is hosting a virtual event called Womxn in STEM: Dr. Desiré Whitmore.

The March 10 event features Whitmore, who holds three degrees in political science, chemical engineering, as well as chemical and material physics. She is better known as “Laser Chick.”

Whitmore’s Ph.D. and postdoctoral research focus was on the development of very fast laser systems that study single molecules vibrating, electrons traveling across the surface of metals, and the fluorescence of semiconducting dots, according to the event announcement.

She was born and raised in California and identifies as Blaxican American.

For more information or to register for the event that begins at 2 p.m., click here.

Promise program accepting applications to cover tuition costs

San Diego Community College District is now offering its tuition-free San Diego Promise for future students in the fall.

The San Diego Promise serves as a completion program that provides funding for two years of community college education for participating students.

The program has helped more than 6,300 students over the past five years. The deadline for priority registration and admission is June 11.

Almost all first-time applicants are a part of San Diego Promise, according to the district.

Students are also eligible if they are former foster youth, military veterans, formerly incarcerated, and undocumented or AB-540 eligible students.

“They are really nice people,” said computer engineering student Gedle Gedleh in a news release, “they are people just like me, and it actually helps a lot. I am extremely grateful for the services that are available.”

Accepted students must complete a new student orientation and develop an education plan with a college counselor.

Promise students must enroll in a minimum of 12 units each semester and maintain a 2.0 GPA.

Live support is available on Zoom on Mondays from 2-4 p.m. For more information, click here.