City College science students, faculty face realities of returning to campus

Lab classes are among those returning to campus for the fall 2021 semester

Geology professor Anna Evashko and students discuss a classroom project which was due in 15 minutes, before presenting it to the rest of the classroom. Photo by Christopher Tapanes/CityTimes Media

Christopher Tapanes

Christopher Tapanes, Multimedia Journalist

After taking last spring semester off due to dissatisfaction with online courses, City College biology major Jose Angel Felix was eager to return to campus. 

“I think the school is doing what they think is best for us,” Felix said, voicing confidence in the campus reopening plan.

Felix was standing in front of the science building last Wednesday, waiting outside for his biology professor to open the classroom, a new safety measure due to COVID-19 protocols.

While the majority of students and faculty at City College’s science building agreed that in-person lab classes are essential to the learning process, others are having reservations about being back on campus.

Biology major Dana Garcia explained that she, and a few of her classmates, were worried about exposure, but grudgingly felt it was necessary to return.

Esmeralda Ramirez, a biology allied health major, was also worried — but for other reasons. The thought of being in person was a terrifying notion because she was not on campus for an entire year.

Nervously, she arrived two hours early on her first day of class, mentioning that her professors made everything transparent in terms of safety protocols in the classroom.

“As long as everyone follows the regulations there shouldn’t be an issue,” Ramirez said. “We’ve been managing it pretty well and it feels pretty nice, you know, to have that contact with others that’s not through a screen.”

Among the science faculty that have guided students through these challenging times was Geology Professor Anna Evashko, who was excited about teaching in person again.

Evashko taught to a massive lecture hall filled only halfway with students, with a seat or two between them. 

By the semester’s second week, she had students creating colorful posters of famous land masses to present as group projects.

Geology student Randy Castillo is presenting his project about the Himalayas to fellow classmates. Photo by Christopher Tapanes.

Leading the efforts of the science department so that classes like Evashko’s can continue safely is the job of the Dean of Mathematics, Science, and Nursing Education, Leticia Lopez.

She stressed the importance of leadership and working with students.

“It’s really important to come together as a group,” Lopez said.

Lopez explained that the college put together a campus-ready toolkit, which is online.

The document has links for faculty and staff to print out signage to put on doors with other important resources to accommodate everyone.

“We’re quite brave to say, well, we’re going to be the pilot group to come back to campus this fall,” Lopez said.