Virtual donation drive to help City College students facing food insecurity

Pack the Pantry runs through Nov. 30

Hunger Action Day volunteer Sylvia Ramirez organizes bags of plums.

Hunger Action Day volunteer Sylvia Ramirez prepared fruit to be loaded into cars during a recent Hunger Action Day food drive. Photo by Kathy Archibald/City Times Media

Joel Garcia, Multimedia Journalist

The San Diego Food Bank is helping San Diego City College students facing food insecurity during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The nonprofit is teaming up with the North County Food Bank for the 3rd annual Pack the Pantry food donation drive, sponsored by California Coast Credit Union.

Cal Coast is also collaborating with the San Diego & Imperial Counties Community Colleges Association, which includes City College, to help get food and funding for their pantries.

Approximately 50% of local community college students grapple with food insecurity, a release from the San Diego Community College District said.

Anyone can donate to Pack the Pantry virtually here and select to which college to donate through Nov. 30.

Pack the Pantry runs online through Nov. 30. calcoastcu.org screenshot

“The need for access to nutritious food is more important than ever for students and Cal Coast encourages other area companies and the general public to join us as we help local students who are experiencing hunger,” Cal Coast President and CEO Todd Lane said in the release.

City College students benefit directly thanks to Hunger Action Days.

“Pack the Pantry is a wonderful new tradition that is making a real difference in the lives of our region’s community college students,” SDCCD Chancellor Carlos Turner Cortez said in the statement. “Food insecurity is a real issue on campus and this virtual food drive will go a long way to support the work being done at each of the food pantries at our 10 local colleges.”

The next drive is Monday from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m.

The San Diego Food Bank is among the organizations that support the event alongside City’s Student Affairs office and Feeding San Diego.

Hunger Action Day is a drive-up event, meaning students can simply go to Lot 8 in their cars to pick up the items.

Students, faculty and community members who want to sign up for Hunger Action Day can register here.