City Times Media highlights its most-read stories of 2021

As the year comes to an end, City College student media staff took a moment to look back

Heriberto Gerardo Gutierrez

Katia Pechenkina

Heriberto Gerardo Gutierrez, owner of Tortilleria El Grano de Oro, hands over a bag of tortilla chips he makes at the store. Photo by Katia Pechenkina/City Times Media

Kathryn Gray, Managing Editor

From covering the impact of COVID-19 at San Diego City College to major leadership changes in the San Diego Community College District, City Times kept readers informed throughout the year.

City Times strives every day to write stories that bring diverse perspectives on issues relevant to the San Diego City College community. 

As the year comes to an end, City Times staff took a moment to look back on the most-read stories of 2021.

What would you like to see covered by City Times Media in 2022? Tell us! Email [email protected] or leave us a voicemail below.

Most-read story of 2021:
National City entrepreneurs struggle to keep business afloat during COVID-19 pandemic (with podcast)

The impact of COVID-19 has caused a range of obstacles for the very smallest, family-run businesses in National City, which encompasses just over 9.2 square miles and has a population of more than 61,000 residents, according to the National City website.

VIDEO: SDSU clears the way for new campus and stadium

One of the last phases of demolition of SDCCU Stadium was completed Monday, bidding a final farewell to the 44-year-old landmark and making way for the new San Diego State Mission Valley and Aztec Stadium.

BREAKING: SDCCD announces candidates for chancellor (with updates)

The San Diego Community College District has chosen its four finalists to replace Constance Carroll as part of a national search for a new chancellor for the district. Carroll has served as chancellor for 17 years and is retiring in June.

UPDATED: Fear, frustration of SDCCD staff dominates the first fall trustees meeting

SDCCD Board of Trustees meet on Zoom
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Board of Trustees met on Zoom on Aug. 26 and public comments left on on the district website were read aloud. YouTube screenshot

Staff from the student services departments of all four campuses vented their fears and frustrations regarding the SDCCD’s recent decision to require them to return to campus amid rising COVID-19 numbers at the Aug. 26 Board of Trustees meeting. 

National City market uses social media, delivery services to survive the pandemic

Rodeo’s Meat Market and Catering stands out on Highland Avenue between an empty parking lot and a smog center. The business originally focused specifically on catering tacos and other Mexican cuisine.

National City entrepreneur balances two different businesses during the pandemic

Dream Crystal Gifts
Matt Wray, owner of Dream Crystal and Angel Petals stands in front of an incense display preparing for an interview. Photo by Susana Serrano/City Times Media

In a corner lot on Highland Avenue and E 16th Street sits a circular-shaped flower store called Angel Petals, which shares a parking lot with Dream Crystals Gifts that sells many eclectic merchandise.

Restaurant owner taps his network for help to survive pandemic

In a small shopping center where Highland Avenue connects with 24th street in National City, a Mexican restaurant called Birrias, Chivos & Cheves stands between a pizzeria and a nail salon.

Arts bring new perspectives back to City College campus

Model Yoni Baker in Life Drawing class
Model Yoni Baker bares all but his nose and mouth for students, including Benedicte Bonaventure (right), in the Life Drawing class at San Diego City College on Aug. 31. Photo by Philip Salata/City Times Media

For the first time in more than 18 months, select fine arts classes are finally being held in person at City College for the fall 2021 semester.

BREAKING: SDCCD mandates COVID-19 vaccine for fall 2021

San Diego Community College District will require students, faculty and staff to get vaccinated against COVID-19 for in-person learning for the fall semester, according to a statement shared on social media.

VIDEO: FDA recommends Johnson & Johnson’s coronavirus vaccine as eligibility expands in San Diego County

The Food and Drug Administration has authorized Johnson & Johnson’s coronavirus vaccine for emergency use on Friday, a day before new sites open in San Diego County.

Want to be part of student media at San Diego City College? Click here to learn more about classes offered for the spring 2022 term.