Deadline tonight to apply for $1,200 grant

An email sent to City, Mesa and Miramar students offers the possibility of aid money for those who have not yet received a grant for spring semester

City College offers students the possibility of a ball of financial aid money, with the window closing tonight before midnight. Canva graphic by Kathy Archibald/City Times Media

Kathy Archibald, Multimedia Journalist

San Diego City College students have until 11:59 p.m. tonight to apply for a $1,200 emergency grant if they have not yet received one for spring semester.

An email sent to some students of City, Mesa and Miramar colleges on March 16 from [email protected] stated that the colleges are offering students emergency relief grants “for those experiencing financial need as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic with funds authorized by the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021.”

To apply for funding and claim the funds, students must download the Edquity app or visit the Edquity website, the email stated. More information about the app and the financial aid process is available on the San Diego Community College District website.

Students are encouraged to apply for more than one category of need and awards are limited, the email from the district stated.

It is unclear specifically how the awards are limited, who exactly will qualify, and why students were provided only a five-day notification of the deadline to apply for these funds.

Jack Beresford, director of communications and public relations at SDCCD, wrote in an email to City Times that only students who did not receive a $1,200 grant in February would be eligible to receive this funding.

“In February, San Diego City, Mesa, and Miramar Colleges awarded $1,200 from the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) to students enrolled in Spring 2022 classes that received a Pell or California College Promise Grant (CCPG),” Beresford wrote.

“To provide all students an opportunity to receive emergency financial assistance, students who did not receive a HEERF grant in February can apply for a $1,200 HEERF grant through Edquity,” Beresford added.

In an informal poll, City Times Media found anecdotal examples of students who did not receive the February grant and also did not receive the email.

The email from the district stated that Edquity will provide students with an application decision “24 hours after the program close date on March 22.”

More information about the Edquity application at City College, fund disbursement and eligibility concerns from students were discussed in a Dec. 16, 2021 City Times story about City’s Fall Fest event and the promised disbursement of funds to student attendees.

The email from the district refers questions about the Edquity app to [email protected] but does not provide a contact at City or at the district.

Do you have questions about the financial aid process or the Edquity app? Or want to share your experience with COVID-related financial aid? City Times wants to hear your voice. We are looking for our community – fellow students, faculty, staff and alumni – to let us know how they feel. You can send your thoughts in writing by email at [email protected] or leave us a voice message below.