City College kicks off volleyball season with special night for Latinx heritage

Knights Athletics celebrate Latinx Heritage month with a special night of community, food and fun

City College students, faculty and staff gathered at the Harry West Gym celebrating its Latinx community. Photo by Antonio Contreras/City Times Media

Antonio Contreras, Multimedia Journalist

Update: This story has been updated with an image and results from Friday’s game.

Friday night was buzzing at San Diego City College as hundreds of students, faculty and staff gathered at the Harry West Gym in celebration of Latinx Heritage Month.

The Sept. 23 event is one of many held from September through October at City College to celebrate its large Latinx community. 

The goal of this collaboration with the Student Athletics, Outreach and Student Affairs was to help the organizations build in-person connections with each other.

“The reason that we wanted to host this event was to promote Chicanx and Latinx Night, then we wanted to really celebrate our Latinx student-athletes,” Outreach coordinator Clarissa Padilla said. ‘We decided to collaborate on this event to No. 1, celebrate them, but also to bring students back to campus on evenings and then invite the community.”

The event was so well attended, that most of the free food caused long waits in line. Everyone was given a raffle ticket with the chance to win gift cards from Amazon and other prizes.

“It’s important for us to recognize and celebrate (the Latinx) identity,” Dean of Student Development and Matriculation Juan Carlos Reyna said. “It’s something that we’re very proud of, and especially this month.” 

After the event concluded the attendees were treated with free entry to the San Diego City College women’s volleyball game against Palomar.

The largest crowd of the season cheered on the San Diego City College women’s volleyball team during its game against Palomar on Sept. 23. Photo by Antonio Contreras/City Times Media

The Knights went on to win 3-0, earning their third straight victory — all of which have been being sweeps.

Freshman Alexis Mines led the team with 14 kills, while sophomore Ashley Davies added eight kills and 10 digs to help the Knights remain undefeated in the Pacific Coast Athletic Conference.

Earlier in that week, athletic director Aaron Detty mentioned how the event was important to make everyone feel like they belong at City College, which he pointed out is a social justice-focused campus.

“Just looking at the diversity of our entire athletics program, from the coaches to the staff to our student-athletes,” City College athletic director Aaron Detty said. “Representation is very important to everyone.” 

The events for Latinx Heritage Month will continue through the rest of September through October 14. For more information on those events check the Student Affairs Instagram page.