City, SDCCD extends online classes

As a response to COVID-19, SDCCD will have remote learning options only through spring and summer

Vicky Pineda

San Diego City College has been closed to students since March 16. Photo by Vicky Pineda/City Times

Melisa Cabello-Cuahutle, Managing Editor

The San Diego City College District has decided to continue online classes throughout the rest of the spring semester and summer intersession in response to COVID-19, the district announced by email earlier today.

San Diego City College will remain closed while all student resources like counseling, tutoring, and health services will be provided remotely for now.

Link: City College Remote/Online Student Services Hub

This transition means all 60,000 district students will be taking classes online at least through June 1, which is the final day of the spring term.

“I don’t feel well at all because I like to have face-to-face classes, but I understand why we need to have all the classes online because we are in a hard time,” said business administration major Blanca Estrada in a phone interview with the City Times. “I will take classes in summer, but I wanted to take one of my classes face-to-face.”

City College’s remote learning classes formally began on March 23. The campus closed to students on March 16.

“Being that the coronavirus situation changes so rapidly, plans can change as well,” wrote City College Public Information Officer Cesar Gumapas in an email.

SDCCD Chancellor Constance M. Carroll says this decision was necessary since she is unsure of when the current situation will end and the social distancing norms will no longer be necessary.

Link: Chancellor’s Message: COVID-19 update 3/25/2020

SDCCD, which includes Mesa and Miramar colleges and Continuing Education, now joins other schools across the county and country in officially keeping online-only classes for the rest of the spring semester.

SDSU announced its plans on March 12 and Southwestern College said online classes will continue until summer on March 23. 

Commencement has not officially been canceled, with hopes that the current situation will improve before graduation.

Online-only classes present challenges to students who do not have reliable WiFi, computers or emergency services.

SDCCD announced in a press release that resources to help students who need computers are not enough and the district is requesting donations from the public.

To make a donation visit: sdccd.edu/coronavirus/covid19-how-you-can-help.aspx

Staffwriter Jovani Juarez contributed to this story.

How do you plan to adjust to classes online for the rest of the spring and summer? Let us know. Email [email protected] or comment below.