Knights volleyball player Rafael Garcia prepares to serve the ball during their home game against Mesa College on March 1, resulting in a loss of 0-3.

Three volleyball players reportedly suspended

The Knights men’s volleyball team has been forced to forfeit the remaining games of the 2013 season.

Newscene, City College’s student news program, reports that three players, including the team captain, are indefinitely suspended from competition for allegedly smoking marijuana. While the location of the reported incident is still undetermined, on campus or in Balboa Park, the code of conduct contract signed by athletes has a “zero tolerance” policy for substance abuse. City Times could not independently confirm the information.

No arrests or criminal charges were filed and the three students were not expelled from City College for the incident.

“I can neither confirm nor deny the reports of alleged substance abuse during disciplinary proceedings,” Denise Whisenhunt, vice president of Student Services, commented in a phone interview on April 9.

Although the athletes allegedly involved are not allowed to compete, they still must attend practice since it is considered a semester class, Newscene reported. Athletes are expected to meet certain expectations when they sign to play for City College, Whisenhunt said in an earlier phone interview with City Times on April 5.

“Men’s Volleyball has had to forfeit the remainder of the season due to the lack of eligible players,” Kathy McGinnis, dean of Health & Exercise Science and Athletics, said in an email interview.

The City College men’s volleyball program is ineligible for either one of two reasons —- disciplinary or academic —- Pacific Coast Athletic Conference Commissioner John Woods noted in a phone interview with City Times on April 5.

Head Coach Dan Samuelson had not replied to requests for comment as of press time.

The team’s last game was held on March 22 against the Imperial Valley Lasers in a Pacific Coast Conference match-up where they only won one set out of the whole match. The Knights got just their second set win but still lost the overall match to the Lasers 3-1 (25-20, 19-25, 19-25, 25-27).

Donate to City Times

Your donation will support the student journalists of San Diego City College. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment, cover the cost of training and travel to conferences, and fund student scholarships. Credit card donations are not tax deductible. Instead, those donations must be made by check. Please contact adviser Nicole Vargas for more information at [email protected].