REVIEW: City Theatre continues to deliver the spooky with live theatre

Director Kate Stone and students brings William Shakespeare’s classic tragedy “Macbeth” to Saville Theatre

The cast of City produced play Macbeth curtain call after their performance on Oct. 29.

The cast of City produced play Macbeth curtain call after their performance on Oct. 29. Photo by Will Mauriz/City Times Media

Will Mauriz, Sports Editor

In post-apocalyptic downtown San Diego, the city skyline in ruins and backlit with an omniscient purple light, you follow the dark journey into the madness of the forsaken King of Scotland.

The Saville Theatre is hosting the Shakespearean tragedy “Macbeth,” presented by the San Diego City College Visual and Performing Arts program with a Mad Max feel.

The City Theatre department had to deal with the death of live performances as of last March, but after 17 months, it has brought life back to the stage with the running of Shakespeare’s “Macbeth” and “Twelfth Night.”

The Shakespearean tragedy of “Macbeth” is known for being an examination of the human heart and how it can be led by good intention or corrupted by greed.

“Macbeth” was originally written by William Shakespeare sometime between 1604 and 1607.

The character of Macbeth was based on a real Scottish king (1040-1057 A.D.), but in this rendition, the setting is more contemporary and is localized to downtown San Diego.

The play chronicles the story of a Scottish general prophesied by three women, known as “witches” or “weird” to become the King of Scotland.  

Encouraged by his wife, Macbeth kills King McDuff to take his throne. 

The stage at Saville Theatre at intermission of City produced play Macbeth on Oct. 29.
The audience views the stage at Saville Theatre at intermission of City produced play Macbeth on Oct. 29. Photo by Will Mauriz/City Times Media

His decision to murder in pursuit of power and follow his interpretation of his fate drives Macbeth down a path of paranoia and misery, all to keep his throne.

Do not be disappointed. Despite the difference in time period, the dagger, an intimate weapon, is still used for stabbing and throat-slitting throughout the play. 

Yet instead of swords, arrows, kilts, tunics, and smoking pipes, there were handguns, rifles, biker vests, jeans, and cigarettes.

The production creates a strong impact with bright red blood, a floating severed head, haunting voices, booming sounds and shrieks, and ghostly lighting.

An intense tone was set by the actors playing the “three weird witches.”

Like puppet masters influencing all of reality, these soothsaying, zombie-like figures profess their visions to the audience and characters.

Vilma Moore, who plays one of the witches, was outstanding. Her commanding and bombastic delivery had me hooked on every word of Old English.

Yvana Alvarez, who plays Macbeth, was an emotional anchor throughout.

Her tortured facial expressions and piercing eyes portrayed a suffering onset of guilt and paranoia.

Lauren Kogelman, who plays Lady Macbeth, had a mesmerizing, clear delivery and portrays a tortured soul torn between lust for power and the reality of her sinister decisions.

The story keeps the unsettling tone of Shakespeare’s work and does not get diluted with quick transitions between acts and an intensity of pending doom.

Macbeth

Dates/times: 7 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 4  and 2 p.m Saturday, Nov. 6.

Location: Saville Theatre at the San Diego City College, 1313 Park Blvd., San Diego, CA 92101.

COVID policy: Full vaccination required or negative COVID-19 PCR test result within 72 hours of curtain. Face masks required.

Tickets: $10-15 

Phone: (619) 388-3508

Info: sdcity.ludus.com