City College Music Club to host open mic night

All musicians, poets and comedians are invited to perform on March 23

A stage and instruments being set up in C209 for the music club’s open mic night. Photo by Joel Nevarez/City Times Media

Joel Nevarez, Sports Editor

The San Diego City College Music Club will be hosting an open mic night on March 23 at C-210 from 4-7 p.m. 

This will be the music club’s first open mic night since the pandemic and its first organized event this spring since last fall’s end-of-semester concert Soundsation.

“Over the past year, we’ve been working on trying to come up with more live performance events and opportunities for students to showcase their talents,”  said Bernard Clark, a commercial music major and president of the Music Club. 

Performers are encouraged to bring their own equipment, but guitars, bass amplifiers, a piano and hand percussion instruments will be available. 

The open mic night is open to everyone, not just musicians.

Poets, comedians and any other artists looking to perform are invited to participate. 

“We are trying to create a community and allow it so that even poets or comedians have an opportunity to express themselves and present their art to everyone,” Clark said. “We want everyone to show up and have a space and opportunity to perform or to express themselves.”

Spots for open mic night are still available, but they are filling up fast.

Signups are not required but are the only way to guarantee a spot and a specific timeslot. 

You can sign up for the open mic night here.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by SD City Music Club (@sdcitymusicclub)

The open mic night will serve as a test run for future live events being hosted by the music club, such as Soundsation. 

“Every semester we’re trying to expand upon the previous one and the previous performances we did,” Clark said. “How can we make this next one better?”  

The music club also invites students to their meetings on Fridays in C-210 at noon. The club hosts jam sessions in the studio following the club meetings.  

For more information on arts and culture at City College, click here