6+ perks for City College students with a .edu email account

A student email comes with many discounted or free subscriptions to streaming services, software and news outlets

Many of the benefits that come with a student email are online subscriptions and software programs. Illustrated by Sean Monney/City Times Media

Sean Monney, Multimedia Journalist

The San Diego Community College District assigned you a new mandatory student email, and it comes with a ton of benefits you might not know of.

Qualifying for the student discount on a subscription or online software comes with sizeable savings, but often requires providing a valid student email.

Now, you can get in on these discounts, too. Here are the 6 big ones.

1. Amazon Prime

With a student email, Amazon offers a 6-month free trial of Amazon Prime, which means free, 2-day delivery on all Prime-labeled products.

Amazon Prime for students also comes with Prime Video for movie and TV streaming and Prime Music.

After the 6-month trial ends, students only need to pay $7.49 per month, half the usual $14.99 a month.

2. Spotify and Apple Music

Both Spotify and Apple Music offer ad-free music streaming for $4.99 a month, 50% off, with a student discount.

Spotify provides the added bonus of including basic Hulu and Showtime subscriptions as a part of the $4.99 fee.

3. Adobe

Adobe offers a 40% discount for students for the first year, bringing the monthly price down to $20. After the first year, students get a 60% discount.

Adobe software includes Photoshop, Premiere Pro, Acrobat Pro, Illustrator, and more tools for editing photos, video, audio, and documents.

City College students may also qualify for a free Adobe subscription if they are enrolled in a course that requires an editing program.

4. Office 365

City College students can access the entire Microsoft 365 suite for free after signing up for the .edu email through Outlook.

Microsoft 365 comes with Word, Excel, PowerPoint and more, as well as 1 terabyte of storage on OneDrive.

5. Digital news subscriptions

The Washington Post offers a $1 per month price for all students, and the New York Times offers a free month-long trial, followed by $1 a week subscription.

6. Other discounts

GitHub offers its Pro version for free to students, with program packages for coding and web development.

Skillshare offers 50% off its premium subscription for students. Skillshare is a site that offers tutorials for illustrating, freelancing, video editing, and other creative and professional skills.

Cellphone and internet providers often offer a student discount with a .edu email, but these vary depending on the provider and plan.