City College Music Club holds first meeting of the semester

All students are welcome to join

Music@City

San Diego City College’s Music Club held its first meeting. Music Club image

Will Mauriz, Staff Writer

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, music has been forced away from live shows, in-person collaboration and interaction at traditional venues. The students of the Music Club have found ways to adapt and continue working on their craft.

The first meeting of the semester was held over Zoom on Feb. 5 and covered a range of future events such as live-streamed shows, collaborative jam sessions between artists, and future podcast plans. All students of City College are able to join the Music Club if they are enrolled in at least one class.

Professor Mike Espar, one of the two full-time music professors at City, was present to provide guidance and coordination to the group.

“Musicians are so used to the live interaction,” Espar said. “When this is taken away, you are desperate to recreate it.”

The club members found interactive computer programs such as Jamkazam and Bandlab that allow the users to produce and collaborate on music production in real time. 

Espar said he was “impressed with everyone’s innovation and dedication” working around the limitations of performing and collaborating online.

Students can contribute to their passion for music in any capacity to the club, whether it be producing, singing, playing an instrument or just conversing about promoting student music.

The secretary of the Music Club, Alicia Guerra, shared her experience of joining the club. She is studying digital music technology in the commercial music program. 

“Before I came to City College, I was a full-time DJ and started taking classes just for fun,” Guerra said.

Now she is working  “to get my portfolio ready” for potential employers to work in the industry of commercial music production.

To join the Music Club, click here. For more information, email Espar at [email protected].