#TODAYATCITY: San Diego City College tackles hunger with food drives

Sign up now for today’s event, which is held twice a month through the spring term

HungerActionDay-4670 by San Diego City College on Flickr

Masked volunteers load donated food in the trunk of a car at a recent Hunger Action Day at San Diego City College. San Diego City College photo

Jesus Lopez, Staff Writer

With a long holiday weekend overlapping with a scheduled food drive at San Diego City College, Marciano Perez had a decision to make.

The dean of Student Affairs could cancel the drive or reschedule. And in the middle of a pandemic, Perez knew exactly what to do.

“For me, it’s never an option to cancel an event,” Perez said, “rather shift a day and get the food into the peoples’ hands that need it.”  

City College’s Hunger Action Days take place every first Tuesday and third Monday of the month from 12-2 p.m. or until food runs out. Check out photos from past events here.

But this Monday, February 22, is an exception because of last week’s holiday.

Sign up now for today’s food drive: https://qtrial2019q4az1.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_87HkMZfHLGkhnoy

Hunger Action Day started as a response to having the campus food pantry closed following the COVID-19 shutdown in March 2020.

”This pandemic has enlightened and illuminated how much food insecurities we have in our community of students,” he said.

San Diego City College partners with The San Diego Food Bank and Feeding San Diego, depending on the time of the month.

Food is available for all students, classified professionals, faculty, and community members of City College. All participants must stay in their cars. Food will be loaded directly in the trunk or backseat of the vehicle by volunteers, according to the website.

To participate, sign up here.