CITY TIMES SOUND: San Diego program helps renters pay overdue bills

San Diego announces COVID-19 Housing Stability Assistance Program

Rent Canva Image

San Diego announces program to help San Diegans pay overdue bills. Canva image

Marlena Harvey, Managing Editor

The COVID-19 Housing Stability Assistance Program was introduced to help those living in the San Diego community pay bills they may have struggled to cover during the COVID-19 pandemic. 

According to the program application, households who make below 80% of San Diego’s median income ($92,400 per year for a family of four) may qualify if they are unable to pay rent or other bills due to COVID-19. 

Priority will be given to households with income at or below 50% ($57,750 per year for a family of four) of the median and those with at least one adult who has been unemployed for more than 90 days before applying.

This story was mentioned on today’s episode of News Radio Midday, the student-produced show broadcast on 88.3 HD-2 at 1 p.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays.

The program will pay up to 80% of any unpaid rent or utility bills that occurred between April 1,  2020 to March 31, 2021, but only if the landlord agrees to waive the remaining 20%. Priority will be given to past-due or unpaid rent cases. 

The program can pay 25% of the tenant’s past-due, unpaid rent to the tenant if the landlord does not agree to these terms. 

Up to 25% of any upcoming rent from April  to June can also be covered if funds are available. 

For more information or to apply, go to https://covidassistance.sdhc.org