RADIO: City College SACNAS featured in club showcase (with update)

SACNAS demonstrated science experiments during club showcase

Lori Oldham with SACNAS president and club members during City College club Showcase. Zoom screenshot

Will Mauriz, Multimedia Journalist

Correction: This story has been changed to reflect the correct spelling of the name of Shalayah-Naomi Webb, secretary of SACNAS. City Times regrets the error.

This past Friday the SACNAS San Diego City College chapter was featured in the City College club showcase which broadcasts live on the Student Affairs’ YouTube Channel.

SACNAS is an abbreviation, meaning the Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science, explained by club president Dyani Melgarejo at the event. 

“In short, what we are is a science club dedicated to diversity in the largest sense of the word,” said Melgarejo.

The event was hosted by Lori Oldham, an advisor for Student Affairs at City. 

“During the pandemic you’d be surprised how many clubs are really active and the wonderful students behind the faces of the clubs,” said Oldham.

This story was reported on today’s edition of News Radio Midday, a bi-weekly radio newscast produced and recorded remotely by the students from San Diego City College’s Radio, Television & Film program. You can listen to the show live at 1 p.m. every Monday and Wednesday either on 88.3 HD-2 or here any time.

SACNAS relies mostly on performing live science demonstrations provided to K-12 throughout the San Diego area and professional networking events, which aims to inspire attendants to be interested in the world of science. 

Due to COVID-19 restrictions they have adapted by becoming a social and emotional support system for members and continuing to perform demonstrations via Zoom.

During the club showcase series science experiments were demonstrated to show how they can be done safely, economically and quickly at home.

Shalayah-Naomi Webb, secretary of SACNAS, presented a self-made video demonstrating step-by-step instructions for creating your own crystals at home, by mixing epsom salt with water.

If you’re interested in joining or want further information email [email protected].