City College student leader making change through positivity and perseverance

Inter-club Council President Kaitlyn Moore is on a mission to make clubs inclusive and accessible to all

Inter-Club Council president Kaitlyn Moore works to increase student engagement on campus through clubs. Kaitlyn Moore courtesy photo

Kathryn Gray, Editor-In-Chief

Inter-club Council President Kaitlyn Moore is on a mission to make all students feel like they have a place at San Diego City College.

It’s an embodiment of City’s slogan ‘You Belong Here,’ according to Student Affairs Coordinator and Associated Students Government Advisor Lori Oldham. 

Moore, a digital journalism major taking all of her courses online, is especially passionate about making campus life and the City community accessible to fully remote learners.

Online learning was not a new concept Moore had to adjust to because of the pandemic. She is a graduate of San Diego Virtual School and has been taking remote classes her entire life.

“School should be inclusive and open to all,” Moore said. “I think it is important, especially when students can’t make it there in person, that people understand sometimes it’s a limitation that they can’t always overcome, be it family life, personal life or health.”

In every class she takes, Moore goes out of her way to let others know she is very comfortable with online learning and is there to help and offer advice.

“Don’t be afraid to talk to your professors,” Moore said. “I’m here for you. If you need something, just let me know. And if I can’t answer it, I’ll refer you to someone who can.”

When Moore offers to help, according to Oldham, she always follows through.

“She does not play or shuffle things off, she is a doer,” Oldham said. “If she says it’s going to happen, it’s going to happen. That’s what I like about her integrity and her character.”

Moore has autism and is a member of Delta Alpha Pi, which is also called the DSPS Club at City. She remembers all of the guidance she was given during her difficult middle school years and how the extra time and understanding helped get her to where she is today. 

When she expressed confusion in some of her middle school classes, one teacher helped with a rap about data analysis while others wrote poems and rhymes to make the material accessible. 

It finally clicked. 

Moore learned at a young age that advocating for herself and surrounding herself with supportive people was critical. Her mother, her biggest cheerleader according to Moore, was the person from whom she first learned unwavering positivity and perseverance.

Often asked how she stays so positive, Moore responds by wondering what isn’t there to be positive about.

“We’re alive, we’re safe,” Moore said, “even if our circumstances aren’t the same. We can at least uplift each other and encourage each other to keep pushing on. What’s positive about life is that we get to experience it.”

In her role as ICC president, Moore is working to build up the presence of clubs at City and make sure clubs have activities that are accessible to both in-person and remote participants.

Through thoughtful inquiry and collaboration, according to Oldham, Moore is making change at City.

“Her positivity shines through so much that people gravitate to her because it’s like she’s a beacon of light,” Oldham said. “I would call her a service leader because it’s all about her service to others.”

Moore’s inquisitive nature and affinity for collaboration are also pushing her toward a career in digital journalism, a departure from her first major, which was English. 

“I love getting to know people through questions,” Moore said. “I love getting to know what people have to say and what their side of the story is.”

Opening a center called ‘Wake Up World’ is Moore’s ultimate goal as a journalist. The center would serve as a place for anyone to tell their story and would reach communities often overlooked by traditional media. 

“I want to give them that voice,” Moore said. “I want to tell them, ‘I want the world to know what you see’ because you can be on the outside looking in but it’s different when you’re on the inside looking out.”

ICC and clubs on campus hosted a  Club Rush on Oct. 12,  but if you missed that, there are  weekly ICC meetings on Mondays at 1:30 p.m. on Zoom

A special Halloween Club Rush, with gift cards available to those with the best costumes, will be held on Oct. 31 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Curran Plaza.

To stay up to date on the latest ASG and ICC news follow @sdcityasg1914 on Instagram.