UPDATED: Two incidents of sexual violence reported at San Diego City College

Campus community alerted to the Feb. 28 incidents by a pair of emails

City College police car on campus

SDCCD Police is the largest community college police department in the state of California. File photo

Shamere Grimes, Multimedia Reporter

Correction: An earlier version of this story included an outdated file photo and caption. The story also lacked necessary attribution to the original report. Both have been corrected. City Times regrets the error.

Update, March 2 at 6:20 p.m.: The original story was updated to include information about a second incident as well as safety resources for students and faculty.

Two separate incidents of sexual violence were reported on Feb. 28 at San Diego City College, according to a pair of emails sent to the campus community on Feb. 28 and March 1.

Feb. 28 sexual assault report | Feb. 28 sexual battery report 

College Police received a report that a male suspect forcibly kissed a victim while attempting to place his hand down her pants in the BT building at approximately 2:35 p.m.

The suspect, who was known to the victim, was described as a Black adult male, approximately 5-feet-9 with a thin build, goatee and mustache, according to the report.

A second incident was reported that day in which a victim sitting between the AH and BT buildings was approached by a suspect she said forcibly grabbed her. The victim pulled away and was not physically harmed, according to the report.

The suspect in that incident, which the report said happened at approximately noon, was described as a Black adult male, 5-foot-7, approximately 140 pounds, with thick shaggy hair and wearing a black and white Adidas outfit and a gold chain, according to the report.

In an email sent on March 2, City College shared ways for students and faculty to stay safe.

That included a link to the Stay Safe at City web page, as well as reminders about emergency call boxes.

The LiveSafe app is also available for Android or iOS devices.

The campus is also offering a service called Knights Patrol that is available Monday through Thursday from 5-10 p.m.

It can be accessed by calling College Police Dispatch at 619-388-6405 and requesting “Knights Patrol.”

Feb. 28, 10:06 p.m.: (Breaking) Sexual Battery at San Diego City College
Suspect assaulted victim on campus and is at large

At 3:15 p.m It was reported to College Police, that at approximately 12:00 p.m. on Feb 28 the victim was sitting on a bench between the AH and BT buildings when she was approached by an unknown male subject.

The suspect began speaking to the victim, giving compliments and asking for a hug. The victim agreed to the hug. When the subject put his arms around the victim, he grabbed her buttocks with his hands. The victim pulled away from the subject’s grasp and exclaimed.

“I don’t like that,” the victim said.

The suspect then walked away in an unknown direction of travel. The victim was not physically harmed during the incident and is currently providing College Police with more details.

The suspect has been described as a “Black male adult, 5’7″, 140 pounds, thick shaggy hair, wearing a black and white Adidas outfit and a gold chain,” The suspect reportedly goes by the name “Dewey”.

If you have any information, call the police or College Police Dispatch at (619)388-6405, Dispatchers are on duty 24-hours, 7-days a week.