SDCCD incumbents move forward toward general election

Incumbents took the lead in their respective district primary elections

From left, back row, Craig Milgrim, Mary Graham, and (front row) Sean Elo, J.D., Maria Nieto Senour, Ph.D., Bernie Rhinerson. Trustees Mary Graham and Bernie Rhinerson are running for re-election. Photo provided by SDCCD

Melisa Cabello-Cuahutle, Managing Editor

The San Diego Community College District Board of Trustees’ primary election results are in, with two current incumbents, alongside two new candidates, holding a position in the November elections.

Governing Board Member Bernie Rhinerson will be on the ballot against nonprofit legal director Daniel Piedra for District B.

Governing Board Member Mary Graham will also be on the ballot, alongside SDSU student Mike Palomba, representing District D.

Both incumbents took the lead in their respective district elections, with Rhinerson receiving 67.34% of the votes and Graham gaining 72.08%.

Daniel Piedra received 32.66% of the votes, while Mike Palomba had 16.55%.

“(This information) affects our governing board and therefore the District,” wrote Chancellor Constance Carroll in an email.

The SDCCD Board of Trustees is in charge of the management of the district. They also have a significant role in choosing the next chancellor, as Constance Carroll announced that she will be retiring next year.

“Please join me in congratulating all candidates who have chosen to stand for election to this important office,” Carroll wrote.

The primary elections are reserved for the districts only, but the general election will be citywide.

The Board of Trustees will hold a virtual meeting on April 9 at 4 p.m. It will be available for the public on the district’s YouTube channel.