Student musicians: Deadline coming to apply to play in City College spring concert

SOUNDsation concert applications due Friday, Oct. 28

Musicians, like those pictured in this 2020 Community Recording Studio Night, can apply for the SOUNDsation Concert by Friday, Oct. 28. City Times file photo

Sophia Traylor, Multimedia Journalist

San Diego City College musicians have the opportunity to show off their musical talents this semester.

The SOUNDsation concert will take place at Curran Plaza on Wednesday, Dec.14 from 1 to 4 p.m.

Hosted by City College’s Music Club there are three categories that make up the event: open mic, main event and mixtape.

The submission entry can qualify for one or all three categories. The deadline for submissions to SOUNDsation, is Friday, Oct. 28 at 12 p.m.

Original and cover songs are welcome and no experience required. Open mic performances will be limited to 10 minutes and two people. 

Mixtape submissions are encouraged to provide a link in the form along with a course name and instructor name if created for a commercial music class at City College.     

Music Club advisor and Professor Mike Espar advised students who may be hesitant to sign up.

“If you’ve always wanted to perform but didn’t have the opportunity or didn’t feel like you’ve had the supportive environment, the open mic is a great place to try stuff out,” he said. 

An electric piano with an amp, a guitar amp, a bass amp, and a drum set will be provided for easy access to participants. Musicians may bring their own instruments as long as they are easy to set up.

Selected participants will be notified by Nov. 11.