BREAKING: 3 dead after crash underneath City College’s B Street bridge

Nine pedestrians hit on sidewalk when car left road

Car accident at City College

Gabriel Schneider

Investigation begins on B Street after man hits pedestrians. Photo by Gabriel Schneider

Gabriel Schneider, Editor-in-Chief

Three pedestrians died and at least 6 were injured when they were struck by a vehicle that drove onto the sidewalk under the B Street bridge in the center of the San Diego City College campus Monday morning. 

According to police, a little after 9 a.m., a Volvo station wagon veered off the street and onto the curb below Curran Plaza.

The breaking news was covered in today’s episode of News Radio Midday, the student-produced show broadcast on 88.3 HD-2 on Mondays and Wednesdays.

Rain fell in the area the night before, and it continued off and on through the morning.

“I don’t know if people were sleeping (or) if people were sitting there,” said San Diego Police Chief David Nisleit during a media briefing. “There were several tents up and people had their belongings there.”

Nisleit offered his “deepest condolences” to the families of the deceased.

The 71-year-old driver was detained for driving while impaired and an investigation is ongoing.

Nisleit said police were contacted prior to the crash by a person reporting a possible intoxicated driver a mile from City College in a vehicle matching the suspect’s Volvo. The vehicle is believed to be the same as the one that was involved in the incident, according to Nisleit.

The driver identified himself and was trying to render aid to the victims before emergency crews arrived, Nisleit added. 

“Crews did the best they could with the resources there,” San Diego Fire-Rescue Department Chief Colin Stowell said.

News Radio Midday program director Assad Khalilzadeh contributed to this report.